This year PPL proudly celebrates its 80th anniversary, having started life in 1934 with the aim of ensuring that those who invest their time, talent and money in making recorded music are fairly paid for their work.
To coincide with the release of our financial results at the company AGM (4 June 2014), we have produced a short film highlighting the importance of performance rights revenues in a changing music industry landscape.
The film features PPL CEO Peter Leathem, alongside a cast of PPL members and supporters including:
- Chairman of the Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA) and Director of Chemikal Underground Records, Stewart Henderson
- Producer and Chair of the Music Producer’s Guild, Steve Levine
- Founder and Chairman of Beggars Group, Martin Mills
- Director of Music at The Bedford, Balham, Tony Moore
- Pop act Olly Murs, having sent us a message of thanks for his recognition as the most played artist of 2013 in our ‘PPL People’s Artist Chart’.
PPL's annual 'People's’ charts are compiled from music data from PPL's licensees across the UK (including radio stations and television channels as well as public performance locations such as pubs, clubs, bars, jukeboxes, gyms and shops). Find out who made the top ten of all three of our charts below:
The PPL People's Pop Chart 2013
The 'girls' domination after six years comes to an end with Daft Punk's gloriously uplifting 'Get Lucky' coming in at number one ahead of Robin Thicke's admittedly ubiquitous 'Blurred Lines' and 'Mirrors' from Justin Timberlake.
1) Get Lucky – Daft Punk, Feat. Pharrell Williams
2) Blurred Lines – Robin Thicke /T.I / Pharrell
3) Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
4) Locked Out Of Heaven – Bruno Mars
5) Just Give Me A Reason – P!NK Feat. Nate Ruess
6) Let Her Go – Passenger
7) Wake Me Up – Avicii
8) La La La – Naughty Boy featuring Sam Smith
9) Troublemaker – Olly Murs Feat. Flo.Rida
10) When I Was Your Man – Bruno Mars
The PPL People's Artist Chart 2013
Despite tough competition, Olly Murs comes in ahead of Bruno Mars, P!nk, Rihanna and Calvin Harris to take this year's number one slot.
1) Olly Murs
2) Bruno Mars
5) Calvin Harris
6) Robbie Williams
7) Justin Timberlake
8) Katy Perry
9) Taylor Swift
The PPL People's Classical Chart 2013
Having been knocked off the number one spot last year Einaudi reclaims it in 2013 with 'Nightbook' which was number 4 in 2012 and number 2 in 2011. Einaudi is a true people's choice with no less than 19 recordings in the PPL classical charts in the last five years.
1) Nightbook – Ludovico Einaudi
2) The Nutcracker – Mariinsky Orchestra with Valery Gergieve
3) Primavera – Ludovico Einaudi
4) O Fortuna – Crouch End Festival Chorus and City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra with Nic Raine
5) On The Beautiful Blue Danube – City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra with Paul Bateman
6) Divenire – Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Ludovico Einuadi
7) The Armed Man – National Youth Choir of Great Britain and London Philharmonic Orchestra with Karl Jenkins
8) Concerto for Four Harpsichords – English Concert with Trevor Pinnock
9) Concerto for Two Pianos – The Labèques (Pianos), Philharmonia Orchestra with Semyon Bychkov
10) Le Onde (album version) – Ludovico Einaudi
Join us on Twitter @PPLUK and tell us if your favourite track or artist made it to the top of one of our charts.