The simple act of playing music has the potential to create a better atmosphere and help customers feel more relaxed. It can also enhance productivity and create a better working environment for staff.
Independent MusicWorks research suggests music is something worth paying for!
- 84% of shoppers like shops that play in-store music. 2
- 88% of managers and business owners agreed that music creates a better atmosphere and working environment.1
- 77% of managers and business owners agreed that allowing staff to listen to music enhances productivity.1
- 76% of customers in travel agents that play music agree that they feel more relaxed shopping.3
- 67% of people who regularly attend live music events believe playing recorded music at appropriate times during them makes the events more sociable.2
- 87% of gym members (current and former) who attend exercise classes prefer listening to music by original artists.4
- 80% of customers would like to hear music when visiting a salon.2
MusicWorks is a research project commissioned jointly by PPL and PRS for Music.
You can discover more MusicWorks research musicworksforyou.com
1.Research was conducted by DJS Research in June 2013 among 600 businesses in the West Midlands
2.Research was conducted by VisionCritical in April 2012 among 1,000 UK businesses and Entertainment Media Research in 2009 among 2,000 UK consumers. EMR also conducted the research in 2010 among 400 small retailers, hairdressers, offices and factories.
3.Research was conducted by RED in May 2013 with 676 customers of a UK travel company (x331 interviewed at stores that play music, x306 interviewed at stores that do not play music.)
4.YouGov Plc (April 2014 research study. Online survey. Total sample size: 7492 GB adults aged 18+. Figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults aged 18+).